Bodog Ari

I'm Ari Engel and am also known as BodogAri online. I've played poker for a living for virtually my entire post-college life. In the last few years I have started teaching people my style and philosophy on poker tournaments. Many of them have done very well. If you are interested in getting my help, email: thebodogari@gmail.com

Monday, September 11, 2006

Aggresive Poker

I like to play my draws fast and bet with them. It gives me two ways to win the pot, either my opponent(s) fold, or they call, and I hit. However, sometimes that can get you into trouble. For example, at last years world series, Joe Hachem at the final table check-raised his flush draw, and then was forced to fold, when Danneman came over the top all in.

Table $35k Gtd. Rebuy(826973) Table 28 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: BodogAri (35499)
Seat 2: jualia (8306)
Seat 3: samotJ (7805)
Seat 4: Fullerton__ (24690)
Seat 5: BAGSIK829 (2722)
Seat 6: fabcorleon (28614)
Seat 7: manticorePP (34557)
Seat 8: ARVIQ (19454)
Seat 9: nabirebs (9476)
Seat 10: clator2 (8674)
BAGSIK829 posts small blind (150)
fabcorleon posts big blind (300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to BodogAri [ 7c, 6c ]
manticorePP folds.
ARVIQ folds.
nabirebs folds.
clator2 calls (300)
BodogAri calls (300)
jualia folds.
samotJ calls (300)
Fullerton__ folds.
BAGSIK829 folds.
fabcorleon checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 4c, Ks, 9c ]
fabcorleon checks.
clator2 checks.
BodogAri bets (601)
samotJ calls (601)
fabcorleon raises (3353) to 3353
clator2 folds.
BodogAri calls (2752)
samotJ folds.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 8d ]
fabcorleon bets (24961)
fabcorleon is all-In.
BodogAri folds.
In the above hand, I choose to come out betting on the flop, when it checks around to me, and I'm second last to act. I then get checkraised, and figure him for some decent made hand, so I call, hoping to hit my draw. He then goes allin for an amount that I have 0 odds to call. Similar to Hachem's hand, If I had played it slower, I probably would have been able to see a river. (Notice I hit an open ended straight draw on the turn too, but it still was way too much too call.)

Having said that I like to play my draws fast, it only makes sense that I play my made hands fast too. All too often, I see players that are loose and aggressive, yet slow down, when they flop a set (or any great made hand.) In my mind, this makes absolutely no sense, and can easily be exploited. Once it is known that you play less than premium hands fast, you must play your big hands in the same manner, and you'll be shocked at the action you get from hands that are drawing dead.

1 Comments:

Blogger BodogAri said...

K-rob, there are times on the bubble, where I don't raise 4-7 times, but more like 8-10 times a round. However, alot has to do with what the table will let you get away with.

Back in the day, I just used to reraise blind every time it got folded to someone in mid to late position, and they made the first raise. I still believe that is a plus ev move, it just gets fustrating when good players start realizing what you are doing, and insta call with a4, (having your 104 dominated). In poker, you cannot just do one thing, everything is based on your table situation.

Personally, I don't mind when they flat call, it's all those reraises that get me. Either way, you have to be real careful of the flat calls in my experience, because, since they know you're raising so much, its more likely that they will reraise with marginal holdings. (To a tight players raise aj shrinks up, to an aggresive players raise, it becomes the nuts.) So when they just flat call, many times they have an absolute monster, and are trying to "trap".

Of course, if they're calling your raises, and then folding unless they hit the flop- well, that is a dream scenario. Mostly they miss the flop, and I will keep raising all day, continuation bet, and then reelvauate.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home