Bodog Ari

I'm Ari Engel and am also known as BodogAri online. I've played poker for a living for virtually my entire post-college life. In the last few years I have started teaching people my style and philosophy on poker tournaments. Many of them have done very well. If you are interested in getting my help, email: thebodogari@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'm against titles

Roundup of the summer, I went 0/7 at the WSOP, bubbling (w/in 5% of the field) 3 of them. The main event was a story of bad beats, as I got seated on day 3 (bubble day) to the right of a huged stack Owen Crowe, a top online player (Ocrowe), famously labeled as lacking a fold button. Additionally, I had Leo Wolpert (SuperflousMan) another top online player a couple to his left.
The other player of note at my table was a young asian player (yap)two to my right. Throughtout the day, it would fold to yap who'd open a ton. Ocrowe folded zero, i repeat zero(0) times during the first 3 levels of the day. This created an interesting dynamic, as eventually yap realized he wasnt gonna get away w/ much (playing ocrowe OOP isn't much fun) and started to shut down.

All this led me to a real bad spot. I couldn't open much w/ all these good aggro players to my left, and noone to my right (the other players were shortish playing tight, one or two were stalling etc) was opening light, leaving me with few opportunities to resteal. The best spot was most likely when I was Big blind, and Ocrowe raised UTG-that says a bunch. 666 paid, and as we got to less than 700 players Ocrowe and a short stack 3 to my right got into a verbal confrontation over the short stacks constant stalling. My bustout occured during this time, when it folded to yap on the button, i figured his range was literally any 2, as the SB was a tight shorter stack, and I was aggro but not too crazy, and it being the bubble and all etc. I didnt need to look at my cards as I decided this was way too good of a spot to pass up, but the q10 i saw was bonus equity for when I was wrong and got snapped off. Unfortunately, he beat me and my 28bb's into the pot, and I couldn't outrun KK. Definately hurts to bubble the ME, but I'm very confident my move was +EV...

I did manage one live cash in a Venetain 2500 (min cash- $3669) a tournament that my housemate, a former student who has become a MTT superstar, The Maven/The Yid took down for $206k. Obviously, huge congrats to him.

In online news, I made the money of the sunday million on Stars this week, but couldn't finish it off and I ended around 400th. With around 1000 people left in the tournament (shortly after making the money) I was seated at the same table as a well known very aggresive player (whose game I respect a ton) luckily though we were at opposite ends of the table. Unfortunately, that didnt stop a confrontation, as I opened AJ in utg+2 on his button and after he reppoped me, I figured I was good and for 22 blinds total I wasn't gonna get away. He showed me a big pair (either qq or kk) and I binked the Ace. The "poor guy" went off at me. Fair enough deep-ish (itm at least) of the million, I can understand it being fustrating etc. however when I looked back at the chat (ok who am i lying, i was following it all-not responding) 20 minutes later he was still going at it. This is a guy who plays 10k events semi regularly and has had a ton of success from tournament poker- the kids nowadays...:)

I played in the 2nd Borgata Deepstacks, but wasnt able to recreat the magic, and got in w/ a4 against 88 early in day 2. I'm a big fan of Borgata tournaments though, and I'll be back there next month for the WPT event. Not as sure about legends in LA next week, but it's possible.

As for the title, it speaks for itself, I'm not a fan of me having to come w/ a title whenever (even if they aren't very often) I make a blog.

8 Comments:

Blogger Eugene said...

Ari,

Are you coming up for the Mohegan Sun inaugural tourney in late October?

1:16 PM  
Blogger al734 said...

Hi, bodogari:

I was wondering if you knew anything about why bodog has such a screwed up method of making withdrawal payments. You can get "courier check" in 40 business days or pay for $40 for a 100 money transfer. What is up with this?

6:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Do you hold "Asmachta Kaniya" or not?
Also, I thought you hated the liberals, why not vote for the lesser of two evils?

1:14 PM  
Blogger post said...

are you playing any of the deep stack series that's going on now at venetian or caesars

10:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

replica watches, ugg boots, ralph lauren pas cher, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike roshe run, chanel handbags, burberry, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp, louboutin shoes, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike free, jordan shoes, sac longchamp, uggs on sale, louboutin, nike free, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, prada outlet, air max, christian louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, replica watches, nike air max, louboutin pas cher, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, prada handbags, michael kors, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co

8:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors, hermes, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, vans pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors, nike roshe, tn pas cher, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, north face, nike air max, mulberry, coach outlet, nike air max, ugg boots, nike free run uk, north face, replica handbags, nike air max, sac guess, michael kors outlet, lululemon, true religion jeans, abercrombie and fitch, nike blazer, hollister pas cher, michael kors, new balance pas cher, hogan, oakley pas cher, kate spade handbags, true religion outlet, coach outlet, air force, burberry outlet online, vanessa bruno, ugg boots, timberland, ray ban pas cher, true religion jeans, coach purses, lacoste pas cher, hollister, burberry, ralph lauren uk, ray ban uk, michael kors

8:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

insanity workout, celine handbags, gucci, baseball bats, birkin bag, beats by dre, new balance, converse, abercrombie and fitch, mont blanc, converse outlet, jimmy choo shoes, vans, nike roshe, reebok shoes, north face outlet, hollister, oakley, wedding dresses, soccer shoes, ferragamo shoes, nike air max, nike huarache, ghd, nike trainers, louboutin, mac cosmetics, bottega veneta, asics running shoes, timberland boots, vans shoes, ralph lauren, hollister, instyler, longchamp, nfl jerseys, lancel, nike air max, babyliss, iphone cases, p90x workout, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, lululemon, north face outlet, herve leger, hollister, ray ban, valentino shoes, soccer jerseys

8:49 PM  
Blogger deraz said...

خدمات عجمان – المحنرف للصيانة – الامارات
فني تركيب جبس بودرعجمان
ورق جدران ثلاثي الأبعاد عجمان

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home