Bodog Ari

I'm Ari Engel and am also known as BodogAri online. I've played poker for a living for virtually my entire post-college life. In the last few years I have started teaching people my style and philosophy on poker tournaments. Many of them have done very well. If you are interested in getting my help, email: thebodogari@gmail.com

Monday, March 26, 2007

Happy Pesach All

I'm sitting here in the LAX aiport, on a 5 hour stopover on my way to New Zealand for Pesach (Passover). I'll be staying there for about 2 weeks, and then heading straight to Vegas for the Bellagio tournies. I'm def. going to be playing a bunch of their prelim events, but I don't think I (through my backer) will fork over the 25K for the main event. Doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do. Patience, Patience, Patience.

On a positive note, I've come 2nd and 1st the last 2 weeks in the FTP Sunday $200 Horse event. The fields have been getting smaller, but I am still extatic w/ my results, especially considering that my knowledge of the 3 stud variations is very very weak. Furthermore, my strengths lie in the fact that I am extremely aggresive, and not scared to put all my money on the line w/ or w/o the nuts. Limit Poker does not allow me to use those skills.

So why am I having all this success (+350% ROI in FTP Horse tournies through 37 tournaments, and +75% through 70 tournies on Stars)? Firstly it's only been a small sample so far, so it's possible that I'm just running very well.

I'm a believer that there are 2 kinds of players that enter into these Horse tournaments. Player one knows how to play tournaments very well, and just adds on 1 more to all the others that they are anyways playing. (It is Sunday after all) Player 2, on the other hand, knows some/all the games quite well, but they don't really play many tournaments (It's basically impossible to make a living off any variation of stud tournies.) So at the beggining, Player 2 seems to do well, as they get in their money with the best hand, and just overall play better than people who aren't as familiar with all the games. However, as the blinds get higher, and most of the players in player 1 category fall, player 2 does not adjust his play. This is where I come in, we are now getting deeper in the tournament, and although I don't have my favorite weapon (the allin button) I start to play more aggresively, and these players don't know what hit them. All of a sudden, the super tight guy is raising so many hands, by the time they figure out what's going on, they are very short, and there is not much they can do. (Besides in their mind, it is crazy to play anything but those hands that are profitable, while i look at it from my opponents point of view- ie: if they catch x, they'll have to fold.)

I've been away from poker from about 15 hours now, so if my ramblings are a little incoherent, please forgive me. I'm sure you understand how difficult this is for me:)

1 Comments:

Blogger Fred Titmus said...

You will probably come first in the Afikoman tournament too.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home