Bodog Ari

I'm Ari Engel and am also known as BodogAri online. I've played poker for a living for virtually my entire post-college life. In the last few years I have started teaching people my style and philosophy on poker tournaments. Many of them have done very well. If you are interested in getting my help, email: thebodogari@gmail.com

Monday, March 19, 2007

Poker is Fun for Everyone

I pay close attention to the various online poker message boards, and I have developed my game to where it is, in large part from thinking about other people's posts. That is one of the reasons I'm happy to talk poker in public and "give away" some of my strategy.

One of the more frequent posts goes something like this: I am the best player ever, if only I had the bankroll, I could kill poker, but those donks in the $2.50 entry tourney, keep sucking out on me.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Poker is about finding weakness in your opponents game, and exploiting it. The lower the stakes, the easier it is to find your opponents weakness.

If it didn't kill my expectation, I'd be happy to play 500 $1 tournies, and I could almost guarantee I'd come away with more than 1k. (I have 100% ROI after about 2K tournies on Stars)

Another recent post I read (I would link to it, if I remembered where I read it) talked about focusing on the controllables, rather than the uncontrollables. I 100% agree with that advice. If there is nothing you can do about it, why worry? And if there is something to be done, change and move on. The past is there to learn from, but there's no reason to get stuck in it. The shorter your memory is in this regard, the easier it will be to withstand the constant pains of poker.

7 Comments:

Blogger SwedePhenom said...

Which message boards/discussions do you read? and which are the best online sources for strategy and poker information?

9:34 AM  
Blogger BodogAri said...

pocketfives and twoplustwo are the 2 biggest and best

11:02 AM  
Blogger Avner said...

Keep the posts coming bro

11:52 AM  
Blogger SwedePhenom said...

thanx Ari, and congrats on all the recent wins! live and online

enjoying your blog too very much

7:35 PM  
Blogger sleepy_beaver said...

Ari, you are simply SICK. I found your blog in December and have been following it since. I'm an aspiring poker player w/ a limited bank roll. I have a 60% ROI in $10 and $20 45-man and 90-man SnG's on Full Tilt and have done alright playing MTTs on Bodog (my best finish is 3rd of 220) I was wondering if there is any advice you can give to me as an aspiring poker player. I dont have nearly the bankroll to play at the $200 and $300 levels, but I'm doing well at the smaller levels. Is the competition really that much tougher? Keep up the great work man, you are an inspiration to a lot of us! Hope to play against you someday!

12:15 AM  
Blogger sleepy_beaver said...

Ari, you are simply SICK. I found your blog in December and have been following it since. I'm an aspiring poker player w/ a limited bank roll. I have a 60% ROI in $10 and $20 45-man and 90-man SnG's on Full Tilt and have done alright playing MTTs on Bodog (my best finish is 3rd of 220) I was wondering if there is any advice you can give to me as an aspiring poker player. I dont have nearly the bankroll to play at the $200 and $300 levels, but I'm doing well at the smaller levels. Is the competition really that much tougher? Keep up the great work man, you are an inspiration to a lot of us! Hope to play against you someday (& suckout on ya cuz i know thats the only way i'll beat ya!)

12:16 AM  
Blogger Jeremy L. said...

you need to take a break and come down to silver spirng.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home